Since I was 12 I have had some sort of migraine, and it has been a ride that I wish upon no one. They started out being rather short and once a year to being weeks out of a month.
I don’t have the same form all the time either. I have hemiplegic migraines which are usually about 1-2 days a month, pulsating migraines which are maybe a week or more out of a month, and then headaches which are maybe another week out of the month…
You may think well geez I don’t see how she reads? Well if I have a hemiplegic migraine I can’t, butttttt with these other ones it actually helps distract me unless it is pulsating too bad. Now things with bright lights such a television, computers, ipad, etc. I have to avoid when I have a hemiplegic or pulsating migraine.
What is a hemiplegic migraine you ask? Well good I will list you the symptoms, but first please don’t ever go to google or WebMd for a diagnosis. All that does is promotes anxiety and usually wrong diagnosis.
Symptoms of hemiplegic migraine include:
- Severe, throbbing pain, often on one side of your head
- A pins-and-needles feeling, often moving from your hand up your arm
- Numbness on one side of your body, which can include your arm, leg, and/or one side of your face
- Weakness or paralysis on one side of your body
- Loss of balance and coordination
- Visual aura, such as seeing zigzag lines, double vision, or blind spots
- Language difficulties, such as mixing words or trouble remembering a word
- Slurred speech
- Dizziness or vertigo
- Nausea and vomiting
- Extreme sensitivity to light, sound, and smell
- Decreased consciousness or coma
Now I do not have all of these symptoms, but I do have a lot of them and yes it does feel like I am having a stroke. At times I do want to tear my skull apart, crush my skull together like an eggshell, beat my head against the wall, pull my brain out through my skull and throw it against the ground, and a number of other things that would not be possible. I just have to take each day the best I can and as cliche as it sounds just remember that there are worse things out there… like not breathing.
I have not found a solution out of everything that I have tried, but my one complaint is when you try a med out and you have side effects yet still have the symptoms.
It was discovered through my daughter who has an SCN1A gene mutation that I have the same thing as well. Some people just think oh a “headache” but migraines are a debilitating disease that no one should have to suffer from.
Have you ever suffered from migraines or know someone that has? If not do you suffer from any other type of on going illness or disease?